Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been really focused on running more, getting consistent, and finding time in my busy schedule to once again make fitness a top priority.
What I’ve found is that It’s not easy. I’m not sure that it ever was. I am also not saying that things are more challenging now than they were 5 or 6 years ago when I was running a lot, but man – it’s HARD. Given this, I thought it would be a good idea to re-read some of my more popular posts I wrote for CompleteRunning.com during the time I was successful and a couple of them stood out as relevant. Here they are:
- Get Out the Door! This one includes a bunch of tips that may help get you out the door and running even on days you feel like sitting on the couch – good stuff!
- Making it All Work: Integrating a Fitness Plan into Life – This one made me realize that I’ve always been busy and my schedule has always been a challenge. I’ve made it work before, I can make it work now. It’s all about priorities.
Reading these really made me realize how much I used to enjoy running and also how much I’ve missed it over the past two or three years. While I’ve always kept running at some level, really focusing on it has helped top bring me some focus. The other thing that has really helped is that I’ve signed up for a few runs this spring/summer/fall and there are a few other events I am planning on doing as well.
So far here is my plan:
- Challenge Obesity 5K – April 21 – This is one of the first organized runs I ever did after I lost nearly 200 pounds and I’m super excited to be heading back to do it again. It has a small town feel in the middle of St. Paul. (Registered)
- TC 1 Mile – May 9 – This is another one that I have done before (2007 & 2008) and is a very fun race. I love pushing myself and I hope that I can do my fastest 1 mile ever at age 40 – well technically 40 minus 9 days. This also gets me in a lottery for the Twin Cities 10 mile run in October. (Registered)
- Be The Match Walk/Run 5K – May 18 – This is my 40th Birthday and I’m hoping to do this one with my family. (Not registered yet)
- Something?? – June sometime – I’d like to find a fun even to run in June. I have nothing planned right now, although I think I am going backpacking on the Superior Hiking Trail with Troop 559 in June also…
- Afton Trail Run – 25K – July 6 – I’ve never done a trail run this long before and I’m looking forward to it, should be fun. (Registered)
- Ragnar Relay Great River – August 16-17 – This one sounds really fun – 200 miles from Winona, MN to Minneapolis, MN done as a team of 12. I am working on pulling together a team from the fire station, right now I have 5 team members committed. (Not registered yet)
- Woodbury Country Mile Half-Marathon – August 25 – This is another one that I have done in the past a few times and always proves to be great. The course runs on many of the same trails I train on throughout Woodbury, so it’s vary familiar. (Not registered yet)
- Twin Cities 10 Mile – October 6 – This is dependant on getting a spot in the lottery from runnign the TC 1 mile in May. Would be fun and a good warm up for the next run…
- Mankato Marathon – October 20 – The full monty, the whole thing, all 26.2. This will be a great end to a fun season of running.
- Go Ruck Challenge – November 30 – This is not so much a run as it is a life changing, attitude altering, ass kicking. Should be an interesting 8 to 10 hours of wet, cold, miserable fun. I posted about this one here, we’ve had to adjust the date (twice) – but I think its a go for November.
So that’s it – my spring/summer/fall in a nutshell. I’m going to work hard to keep this blog updated with my progress and mileage.
See you on the road!